Christmas


Christmas of 2022 has been felt to be less a time of nostalgia and remembering the heartwarming moments of our tradition with families and loved ones as it has been marked for myself as a time of cynicism for the absurdity of our current culture and lives. It's difficult not to notice the shift in the family gatherings and the signs of cultural shellshock exhibited by those in attendance staring at your phone has become the norm, COVID has become old news and nobody has the stomach to discuss the shit show of politics has become. Bright eyed version of our as James Poulos outlines so well in his book 'Human Forever' as a result of the digital swarm, we as a people have lost faith in our own American culture as predictably as Europe, who lost its faith in Christianity subsequent the illumination and shrinking of the world brought on in the wake of the proliferation of the electric age. 

This same pattern feels never more true than in the cultural microcosm of the Mormon Church and the disillusionment of so many of it's members in the most recent decade. Mormonism has always presented the world with many gifts, and although flawed by the dishonesty of the entire venture from the outset, as are all religions (see Richard Dawkins), Mormonism in particular is known for it's cultural hallmarks (generally speaking) of industry, kindness, goodness, wholesomeness and family oriented-ness. Which in my own particular opinion is a tremendous achievement in the evolution of culture. Because after all, what is a religion other than a system of lifehacks designed to bring about characteristics in our lives and as a herd that we wouldn't achieve otherwise. Better crop yields, if you will, for society or the herds belonging to the elite 'shepherds' who reap the rewards of our particular tax farm. And so the fact that Mormonism tends yield better behavioral results more consistently from a greater number of people than other systems in our current age is notable. 

As Mark Andreesen explained so well to Joe Rogan recently, perhaps the most clear insightful way to view society is simply a system of cults. For so long the term cult has been considered to be the moniker applied to the church with vitriol. However, once the curtain or 'vail' as you will in cult speak, has been removed and we discover 'it's cults all the way down'. In light of that fact, perhaps the cult like nature of the church will come to be viewed, to it's credit, as more of a helper rather than a hindrance. 

I speak of the church in a very secular manner having considered myself to be one who has been baptized into the reality of the situation after my own realization that the organization I'd invested so heavily in with by my time, energy, intellect and last but not least...my money. I do not flinch at the use of the term Mormon rather than latter day saint since I don't consider myself to be an orthodox Mormon, rather on in culture and spirit which is not owned by the copyrights of the corporation of the first presidency has no claim upon. I do believe there are many benefits to my culture and ethnicity as a Mormon, however I do not believe anyone has ownership over those benefits in relation to me. 

Popular posts from this blog

I hate lairs...

Learn...what I'm studying...the curriculum